I’m at FOSS4G-NL today, the Dutch annual meet-up of the FOSS4G community. This morning I gave the opening keynote titled “A map is the greatest of all epic poems“, and talked about how data is a matter of geopolitics and ethics by design, even if you’re a geo-data pro somewhere in a small municipality working on some hyperlocal data set. The invitation came as a result of my keynote at the global FOSS4G conference in Germany 2 years ago. Slides in Dutch can be downloaded at tzyl.eu/foss4gnl. Will post a transcript in English later.
Some links I thought worth reading the past few days
- CTO Francesca Bria says “We are reversing the smart city paradigm”, creating “a new social pact — a new deal on data”: Fighting back against surveillance capitalism in Barcelona (leading the ‘fearless cities’ network)
- I had to miss it at the time itself, but enjoyed watching it afterwards, part of my braintrust Bryan Alexander hosts a Future Trends Forum with Cory Doctorow on Walkaway: Talking education and technology, the Walkaway perspective.
- The first example I’ve come across that looks at using blockchain for a local exchange and trading system (LETS), a local currency. Not sure why fiat currency related fears like ‘managing supply and demand’ of coins are mentioned, when you tie creation to a transaction like they describe: Hullcoin: can blockchain unlock the hidden value in Hull’s economy?
- Dealing with asymmetries in power over transmission, gatekeeping, scoring: Nibbling away at The New Octopus
- Last month XML-RPC was 20 years old. I should not be surprised Dave Winer helped create it. Twenty years on my webhoster blocks it to prevent brute force attacks on my blog: Dave Winer looks back on 4 years of XML-RPC in 2002.
- Trolling Trump with the US Constitution: Twitter blocking violates First Amendment
- Once more a way how geo data is part of privacy discussions: Open Street Map preparing for GDPR
Will be speaking at State of the Net (SOTN) next month, in Trieste, about networked agency. I’m also on the steering committee of SOTN.
I just also confirmed speaking at the opening of the FOSS4GNL conference in July on ethics, local societal impact and shifting landscapes. (I was invited based on my keynote at the global FOSS4G in 2016)