Frank,“Echter, alle bestaande webmentions wil ik dan wel importeren bij de nieuwe dienst zodat ik geen verleden kwijt ben.” Is het niet zo dat verwerkte webmentions onderdeel zijn geworden van jouw site? Je hebt immers statische pagina’s. Mijn site verwerkt de webmentions in mijn database, en als ik morgen e.o.a. externe dienst ga gebruiken verdwijnen die niet. Is dat bij jou niet ook zo? Zoals je zegt verzenden en verwerken zijn verschillende dingen, maar het resultaat van die verwerking is ook weer een verschillend ding. Toch?
Frank,. And fun to be witness to that on the train. But all your postings now also have themselves as a mention in the comments! Do you have an explanation for why that happens? Maybe you need to filter your own post’s url from the list of detected urls you attempt to send a mention to? I have my site set to filter out self-references per post, but not to other postings on my site (so I can ‘mention’ myself and weave a web of connected thought).
At IndieWeb Camp Nürnberg today I worked on changing the way my site displays webmentions. Like I wrote earlier, I would like for all webmentions to have a snippet of the linking article, so you get some context to decide if you want to go to that article or not.
It used to be that way in the past with pingbacks, but my webmentions get shown as “Peter mentioned this on ruk.ca”.
After hunting down where in my site this gets determined, I ended up in a file my Semantic Weblinks plugin, called class-linkbacks-handler.php. In this file I altered “get_comment_type_excerpts” function (which sets the template for a webmention), and the function “comment_text_excerpt”, where that template gets filled. I also altered the max length of webmentions that are shown in their entirety. My solution takes a snippet from the start of the webmention. I will later change it to taking a snippet from around the specific place where it links to my site. But at least I succeeded in changing this, and now know where to do that.
When the next update of this plugin takes place I will need to take care, as then my changes will get overwritten. But that too is less important for now.
Error: Invalid Map Provider
The webmentions for this posting are now shown as a snippet from the source, below the sentence that was previously the only thing shown.
So, my webmention issues can’t be solved in the theme, as the content isn’t decided there. I need to dig deeper into the semantic-linkback plugin that I use to handle them.
I found out that webmentions are mentioned in full if they are short enough, and that I can set that limit. So I now want to change the way webmentions are stored. To solve my main issue, I need to select x characters around the spot where my site is mentioned, and set the character limit for webmentions to x+1.
I plan to dedicate some learning time in the coming 12 weeks to better understand the protocols that drive the independent web, or IndieWeb. During our STM18 birthday unconference Frank Meeuwsen presented his experiences on the IndieWeb. Frank, Peter and I have formed an impromptu triade to explore the IndieWeb in the past months. In one of his slides Frank conveniently listed the relevant protocols. I’ll plan for 24 hours to explore 6 protocols. Some of them I already understand better than others, so I’ll start with the ones I feel less knowledgeable about.
The ones I want to explore in more detail, in planned order, are:
- ActivityPub / OStatus, a decentralized networking protocol (as this ties into my Mastodon experiments as well, this comes first)
- Micropub, publish on your own domain with 3rd party tools
- Microsub, own your feed-subscriptions (although I already run my own TinyTinyRss instance)
- Microformats, markup for data, text, people, events (already used on my blog, but curious to see how I can extend that to more types of data)
- Indieauth, federated login protocol to sign in with your own domain on other services (already active on my blog, but interested in where else I could use it)
- Webmentions, respond to a blogpost through your own site (already active on my site, but strongly wish to better format and style it on my site)
I switched the theme of my site to SemPress. It’s a theme that is created to properly support microformats. So I could switch off the Microformats 2 plugin that attempts to do the same as a ‘best effort’ inside other themes. This theme is by the same coder(s) as the plugin. Hopefully this fixes the microformat errors on my side. Next step is looking at the way I display webmentions.