I don’t use iCloud in any way. I don’t have anything to sync as this is my only Apple device. I don’t let my Mac store things in its Apple key chain. So I block connections to iCloud, there is no reason known to me for them to exist other than Apple being overly eager in collecting data.

This results in my Mac doing 16 attempts per second in reaching iCloud on a keychain related domain. Over 10 million times this week. I allowed it this week once to see if it would shut up consequent attempts, but the crazy speed of trying to connect resumes not long afterwards. At 16Hz it’s just a few attempts per second shy of being within hearing range, otherwise I’d hear my Mac doing it ­čśë


Little Snitch showing what’s going on. Click to enlarge.

I wanted to move some photos from my camera’s USB card to my new Macbook (M1, Big Sur). I connected a USB card reader to one of the Mac’s ports using an adapter. Finder did not see the card. Odd, because when I then removed the card, it gave the usual warning about not pulling out disks before unmounting them first. Using Diks Utility I found out that the Mac does indeed see the card reader and card, it just doesn’t show them in Finder. The likely reason is that card has no name. On my previous laptop the machine would simply list the card as ‘NONAME’, but apparantly not on this machine.

Right clicking on the card in Disk Utility and selecting ‘rename’ allows you to set a name. After that, throw out the card from the machine, remove it from the card reader and then put it back in. Et voila, the card is listed in Finder with its new name.