A summary overview of changes I made to this site, to make it more fully a indieweb hub / my core online presence. The set-up of my WordPress installation also has been described.
Theme related tweaks
- Created child theme of Sempress, to be able to change appearance and functions
- Renamed comments to reactions (as they contain likes, reposts, mentions etc.)
in the entry-footer template and the comments template
- Removed h-card microformats, and put in a generic link to my about page for the author in the Sempress function sempress_posted_on. Without a link to the author mentions show up as anonymous elsewhere.
- Removed the sharing buttons I used (although they were GDPR compliant using the Sharriff plugin, but they got in the way a lot I felt.
- Added a few menu options for various aspects of my postings (books, check-ins, languages)
- Introduced several categories to deal with different content streams: Dutch, German for non-English postings, Day to Day for things not on the home page, Plazes for check-ins, Books for ehh books, RSS-Only for unlisted postings, and Micromessage for tweets I send from the blog. This allows me to vary how I display these different types of things (or not)
- Displaying last edited and created dates to (wiki)pages
Functionality related tweaks
- Started creating pages as a wiki-like knowledgebase, using page categories to create the wiki structure
- To show excerpts from webmentions I changed the template for a webmention in the Semantinc backlinks plugin, class-linkbacks-handler.php
- Added a plugin to display blogposts on the same date in previous years.
- Added plugin Widget Context to remove recent posts and comments from individual posting’s pages, as they cause trouble with parsing them for webmentions.
- Using categories as differentiator I added language mark-up to individual postings, category archives. Also added automatic translation links to non-English postings in the RSS feed (not on the site). On the front page non-English postings have language mark-up around the posting.
- Added a blogroll that is an OPML file with a stylesheet, so it can be equally read by humans and machines.
- Added an extra RSS feed for comments that excludes webmentions and ping/trackbacks
- Added a /feeds page
- Added a Now page