A summary overview of changes I made to this site, to make it more fully a indieweb hub / my core online presence. The set-up of my WordPress installation also has been described.
Theme related tweaks
- Created child theme of Sempress, to be able to change appearance and functions
- Renamed comments to reactions (as they contain likes, reposts, mentions etc.)
in the entry-footer template and the comments template
- Removed h-card microformats, and put in a generic link to my about page for the author in the Sempress function sempress_posted_on. Without a link to the author mentions show up as anonymous elsewhere.
- Removed the sharing buttons I used (although they were GDPR compliant using the Sharriff plugin, but they got in the way a lot I felt.
- Added a few menu options for various aspects of my postings (books, check-ins, languages)
- Introduced several categories to deal with different content streams: Dutch, German for non-English postings, Day to Day for things not on the home page, Plazes for check-ins, Books for ehh books, RSS-Only for unlisted postings, and Micromessage for tweets I send from the blog. This allows me to vary how I display these different types of things (or not)
- Displaying last edited and created dates to (wiki)pages
- Added a widget with projects I support
- Added to the single post template a section that mentions and links the number of Hypothes.is annotations for that post, where they exist.
Functionality related tweaks
- Started creating pages as a wiki-like knowledgebase, using page categories to create the wiki structure
- To show excerpts from webmentions I changed the template for a webmention in the Semantinc backlinks plugin, class-linkbacks-handler.php
- Added a plugin to display blogposts on the same date in previous years.
- Added plugin Widget Context to remove recent posts and comments from individual posting’s pages, as they cause trouble with parsing them for webmentions.
- Using categories as differentiator I added language mark-up to individual postings, category archives. Also added automatic translation links to non-English postings in the RSS feed (not on the site). On the front page non-English postings have language mark-up around the posting.
- Added a blogroll that is an OPML file with a stylesheet, so it can be equally read by humans and machines.
- Added an extra RSS feed for comments that excludes webmentions and ping/trackbacks
- Added a /feeds page
- Added a Now page
- Added a Hello page
- Added a way to share book lists / feeds.
- Stopped embedding slide decks, and stopped embedding new Flickr photos (as well as removed older embeds, currently 23 postings between January 2013 and July 2018 still have them, and 22 postings from June 2006 to July 2009)
- Removed all affilliate links to Amazon books as it entails tracking
- Added an Index (using a plugin)
- Added my own basic check-in and Dopplr style posts