I started self-hosting my presentation slides in september 2020. The immediate trigger was the sale by LinkedIn of Slideshare to Scribd, and the resulting changes in access and tracking.
I set up two separate WordPress sites to host my slide decks.
tonz.nl which hosts my Dutch language slides
tonz.eu which hosts my English and German language slides.
With my hosting provider I checked if it was ok to host a site whose only purpose is to provide downloads, as nominally it would be against their ToS to provide a download website. My purpose, sharing my own slides was no problem, as the expected traffic is light anyway.
The short domain names, and my ability to create URLs on those domains as I want, allow me to create short easily sharable URLs for my presentations. I announce the URL on my slides during delivery, enabling participants in the audience to immediately access and reshare my presentation file and/or notes, and embed the slide in their own sites.
I use the Speakerstack WP plugin to manage my slides. The workflow is uploading the PDF to my WP media library. The plugin then uses ConvertAPI to convert my slides PDF to a series of images and adds them in an embeddable slider. That slider can be seen full screen.
Next to that I create a page, with the short URL mentioned, in which I embed the slides, add a transcript, links to blog posts and PDF download.
I am now in the process of uploading presentations to the two sites, creating the pages and replacing the original Slideshare embeds with the new self-hosted embeds. It is a pleasing experience to bring slides home.
My current, October 2019, WP set-up is:
Theme: Sempress (with adaptations in a child theme I created)
- Akismet Anti-Spam
- Bridgy, for posting to Twitter from my site (and through the Brid.gy service getting back-feed from Twitter and Mastodon). I should be using Syndication Links as a replacement, but haven’t installed that yet.
- Category to Pages WUD, to add categories to pages, which I use to make my 1-man ‘wiki’
- Classic Editor, as some of the IndieWeb plugins don’t work with WordPress block structure, so I retain the old posting interface
- Mastodon Autopost, to post to Mastodon from my site
- Micropub, to allow me to post to my site using various clients such as Indigenous on my Android
- Post Kinds, to create different types of postings, including likes, bookmarks etc.
- Posted Today, to create ‘on this day in …’ lists of my older posts
- Postie, to post on this site by sending an e-mail
- Semantic-Linkbacks, to present mentions, likes etc from others in a nicer way
- Simple Location, allows me to add locations to postings. Don’t actually use it.
- Ultimate Category Excluder, allows me to keep specific categories on/off the front page, in/out the RSS feed, search or archive overviews. I use this a lot, creating different content streams
- WebMention, to let other sites know I link to them, to hear from other sites they link to me
- WebSub, not sure why I’m using it or what it does
- Widget Context, to keep some widgets off single post pages as they interfere with correct microformats interpretation (machine readability)
- Wordfence Security
- Yarns, a microsub server. Not actively in use yet. I’m trying to set-up one of my existing WP test site as my microsub server. As I don’t want all my feed subscriptions in my live site’s WP database. So ideally I have the subscriptions in another site, while interacting with them from this site.
Ten of these plugins are IndieWeb related, and form a collective block of functionality.
Aim: run Quill locally, to write draft posts offline (and later maybe see if I can store drafts locally).
(I run MAMP PRO on my Mac, I also run a WordPress install locally, with all IndieWeb plugins enabled and a Sempress theme)
I downloaded, installed in http://localhost:8888/quill
The installation instructions mention using Composer to install a range of dependencies. I did not know what that was, so had to Google around to find out it is a tool to install php dependencies. I followed the instructions at https://getcomposer.org/download/ to install Composer on my Mac.
Then I could call the URL http://localhost:8888/quill/public/index.php ok.
However it doesn’t load images correctly and links don’t work as they are relative to http://localhost:8888/ and not http://localhost:8888/quill/public
Aaron, who created Quill, told me Quill expects to run as a root domain.
So: I added a host quill.test on port 80 in my MAMP set-up, with the /public as root folder. Now Quill loads fine and URLs work.
To get it to work right with mysql on my laptop I added a database called quill. I first had created new user, but that didn’t work. So I used an existing root user for that. I had to also run this sql query to create a table in the database that Quill uses.
After that it worked fine. Next up, thinking about how I’d like to change Quill, as an offline tool for me to prepare postings. Also want to experiment with using it to post to different blogs.